Saturday, April 19, 2014

Salt Lake City

Although its only five hours south of where I live (the nearest "big" city), I've never really spent any time in Salt Lake City, that is until last week.  I went down for a couple of days to check out the Utah Museum of Art, to see a baseball game, and visit a few record stores.  I also wandered around downtown a bit and took these pictures.  All in all, a nice enough place  to spend a long weekend (bonus: I discovered a really good Greek diner).  Above is the state capitol at the north end of State Street.

Trolley Square is an old trolley barn converted into a shopping and dining complex.  I found a really good used bookstore inside.

Energy Solutions Arena (one of the worst examples of corporate naming of sports venues I've yet encountered), where the Jazz play.  I didn't go to a basketball game, but I'm thinking I may plan my next trip to take in a soccer game (SLC has an MLS franchise).

The massive lobby of the old Union Pacific terminal.  The mural depicts the completion of the transcontinental railroad, which actually occurred on the north side of Great Salt Lake (the city is on the south side).

The view looking east down Broadway with the Wasatch Mountains in the background.   

The middle of downtown is dominated by the City Creek Center, a massive open air shopping mall with fountains and plazas (like above).  It's right across the street from Temple Square, where the Mormon temple, tabernacle, and assorted other church properties are located.  The white building in the background above is part of that complex (which I didn't visit-- maybe next time).

No comments:

Post a Comment