Monday, October 31, 2016

Some San Francisco Street Shots

I was in the City by the Bay last week, primarily to visit Pier 24-- the world's largest museum devoted exclusively to photography (for which you need an appointment to visit).  They had a spectacular exhibit up that devoted each of their twenty odd galleries to favorites selected by what must be some pretty astute collectors.  Some galleries were thematically organized (a whole room of classic rock and roll images!), and some focused on specific photographers.  So I got to see original prints of some work I've only ever before seen reprinted in books (like Dorothea Lange's Migrant Mother and several pieces from Robert Frank's The Americans), and discovered some new favorites like Consuela Kanaga.  While in San Francisco I also visited the SF Museum of Modern Art, and they had a really cool exhibit of post-war Japanese photography as well as one devoted to Anthony Hernandez who counts as another new favorite whose work I hope to explore more in the future. Needless to say, I was inspired and also spent some time wandering around the city with my camera in hand. Sadly, I was battling a head cold the whole time I was there, and so didn't have my usual energy, so I feel like I didn't get as much shot as I hoped (not to mention the storm that rolled in and forced me to leave a day early, lest I get caught on the wrong side of the Sierra Nevada range). Anyway, here's a first taste of some of what I did photograph there.








No comments:

Post a Comment