Saturday, December 1, 2018

Movie Marathon (Thank You FilmStruck!)




About two years ago I subscribed to a new streaming service called FilmStruck, a collaboration between the folks at Turner Classic Movies and the Criterion Collection.  What a goldmine for a movie lover like me—nothing but classic, foreign, and arthouse films spanning the full history of the medium and drawing from virtually every country with even the hint of a film culture.  Over those two years I was able to revisit a lot of old favorites, but even more importantly explore new things that I previously missed or never had access to, like for example the work of Spanish director Luis Garcia Berlanga and the early work of Wong Kar Wai from Hong Kong.  Unfortunately, a month ago the word came down that the service would be ending as of the end of November. At that point, I had about 65 films in my queue that I had anticipated watching over the coming months; but now I only had about thirty days to see them before they vanished—not to mention all the other wonders I had yet to discover in the collection.  So I decided I wasn’t going to miss out and determined to watch everything on my watchlist in the limited time I had left to do so.  In addition to those, the programmers actually kept adding new films even after the announcement of their closure, so more things were popping up that I wanted to watch (not to mention, that as I discovered certain filmmakers, I wanted to watch more of their work, so I kept adding to my watchlist).  I ended up watching 90 movies in 30 days, a pace I’m frankly surprised I was able to maintain, but certainly glad that I did.  Not everything was great, but much of it was (I re-watched a number of Berlanga films, sampled the oeuvres of Aki Kaurismaki and Yasujiro Ozu, was bowled over by the quality of Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger’s less well known (at least to me) productions, caught up on a bunch of Harold Lloyds, took a crash course in British kitchen sink dramas, and—this is almost embarrassing to admit—saw my first batch of Eric Rohmer directed features).  Anyway, I figured I would commemorate this achievement by listing the films I watched over the last month, as a thank you to FilmStruck in appreciation of what they represented to film fans like me. I’ve already heard  that the Criterion folks are going to launch their own service next year, so maybe I’ll get the chance to see those Jacques Becker and African features that disappeared from my queue before I got around to watching them.  Anyway, here they are, in the order I saw them with directors and country of origin listed (I’ve also marked special favorites with an *):

Casque d’Or (Jacques Becker, France)*                   
Wichita (Jacques Tourneur, USA)                
Who Is Polly Maggoo? (William Klein, France)       
Sweet Movie (Dusan Makavejev, Yugoslavia)
Cleo From 5 to 7 (Agnes Varda, France)*
Drunken Angel (Akira Kurosawa, Japan)*
Leopard Man (Jacques Tourneur, USA)
Every Night Dreams (Mikio Naruse, Japan)*
La Balance (Bob Swain, France)
Barrios Altos (Jose Luis Garcia Berlanga, Spain)
Sylvia Scarlet (George Cukor, USA)
Bob Le Flambeur (Jean-Pierre Melville, France)
The Horses Mouth (Ronald Neame, UK)*
History Is Made at Night (Frank Borzage, USA)
River of Grass (Kelly Reichardt, USA)
Record of a Tenement Gentleman (Yasujiro Ozu, Japan)*
Ariel (Aki Kaurismaki, Finland)*
Mackintosh Man (John Huston, US)
Boring Afternoon (Ivan Passer, Czechoslovakia)
Capricious Summer (Jiri Menzil, Czechoslovakia)*
Slightly Dangerous (Wesley Ruggles, USA)
Five Corners (Tony Bill, USA)
Palermo Shooting (Wim Wenders, Germany)*
Border Radio (Alison Anders, USA)
A King in New York (Charlie Chaplin, UK)
Rude Boy (Jack Hazan & David Mingay, UK)
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Thailand))
Mr. Freedom (William Klein, France)
Two Way Stretch (Robert Day, UK)
Mannequin (Frank Borzage, USA)
Rupture (Jean-Claude Carriere & Pierre Etaix, France)
Saute Ma Ville (Chantal Akerman, Belgium)
La Boutique (Luis Garcia Berlanga, Argentina)
Obsession (Edward Dmytryk, UK)
Once Upon a Tractor (Leopoldo Torre Nilsson, USA/UN)
The Acquaintances of a Lonely John (Benny Safdie, USA)
Peppermint Frappe (Carlos Saura, Spain)
The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (Richard Boleslawsky, USA)
Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt, USA)
Le Petit Soldat (Jean Luc Godard, France)*
The Deadly Companions (Sam Peckinpaugh, USA)
Tiger Bay (J. Lee Thompson, UK)
The Passage (Kitao Sakurai, USA)
Safety Last (Fred Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, USA)
I Know Where I’m Going (Powell & Pressburger, UK)*
Nacional III (Luis Garcia Berlanga, Spain)*
Smithereens (Susan Seidelman, USA)
The Golden Coach (Jean Renoir, France)
Love and Anarchy (Lina Wertmuller, Italy)
Down By Law (Jim Jarmusch, USA)*
Anne-Marie (Raymond Bernard, France)
My Night at Maud’s (Eric Rohmer, France)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (Tony Richardson, UK)
Claire’s Knee (Eric Rohmer, France)
The Outrage (Martin Ritt, USA)
Sword of the Beast (Hideo Gosha, Japan)
Feet First (Clyde Bruckman, USA)
Le Cercle Rouge (Jean-Pierre Melville, France)
Miracles of Thursday (Luis Garcia Berlanga, Spain)
Shadows in Paradise (Aki Kaurismaki, Finland)
Wrong Arm of the Law (Cliff Owen, UK)
Tie Me Up & Tie Me Down (Pedro Alamodovar, Spain)
The Cross of Lorraine (Tay Garnett, USA)
Floating Clouds (Mikio Naruse, Japan)*
The Match Factory Girl (Aki Kaurasmiki, Finland)
Leningrad Cowboys Go America (Aki Kaurismaki, Finland)
Joy of Living (Tay Garnett, USA)
Tom Jones (Tony Richardson, UK)*
Patrimonia Nacional (Luis Garcia Berlanga, Spain)*
A Day in the Country (Jean Renoir, France)**
Pearls of the Deep (Menzel, Chytilova, Jeres, Nemec, Schorm, Czechoslovakia)
Days of Glory (Jacques Tourneur, USA)
Come and See (Elem Klimov, Russia)*
WR: Mysteries of the Organism (Dusan Makavejev, Yugoslavia)
Deprisa Deprisa (Caurlos Saura, Spain)*
What Did the Lady Forget (Yosujiro Ozu, Japan)
Wooden Crosses (Raymond Bernard, France)*
Cimarron (Wesley Ruggles, USA)
This Sporting Life (Lindsay Anderson, UK)
Vagabond (Agnes Varda, France)*
Odd Man Out (Carol Reed, UKK)
Toni (Jean Renoir, France)
The Joke (Jaromil Jeres, Czechoslovakia)*
Rendez-vous (Andre Techine, France)
The Other Side of Hope (Aki Kaurismaki, Finland)*
The Miracle of Marcelino (Ladislao Vayda, Spain)
A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yank, Taiwan)*
Rocket from Calabuch (Luis Garcia Berlanga, Spain)*
A Canterbury Tale (Powell & Pressburger, UK)*
Fallen Angels (Wong Kar-Wai, Hong Kong)

No comments:

Post a Comment